Concerns about ecological sustainability and environmentally friendly practices can all seem a little overwhelming at times, and we often feel as though little actions taken by us wont make a difference in the greater scheme. In actual fact, everything fits together like a puzzle, and a team effort is needed to actually make a valuable difference to our environment.
If you’d like to make a few small changes here and there to help out, then keep reading.
- Use a pair of Modibodi’s as opposed to disposable pads/tampons
- The average woman uses around 12,000 pads and tampons in her lifetime, contributing to approximately 120kg of landfill. This isn’t sustainable in the long term and is causing a lot of harm to the earth. Modibodi’s are effective, comfortable and reusable (just like any normal pair of underwear) and assist in protecting you during your period. Using a menstrual cup along with a pair of Modibodi’s is also a great reusable alternative.
- Try to minimise one-use items
- Things like disposable razors and plastic ware can also be harmful in terms of landfill. Try to avoid using paper plates as much as possible and opt for reusable plastic plates and cups for picnics. Similarly, purchase a razor where you can replace the heads and keep it for a lot longer as opposed to using it once and throw it away
- Buy environmentally friendly cleaning products and cosmetics
- Not only do these reduce the amount of toxins but they’re also kinder to your skin. Staple beauty products like lipsticks and moisturisers can contain harmful parabens and chemicals that harm your body. Nourished Life provide makeup and skin and hair care products that are all chemical free and help you look and feel great – along with promoting environmental sustainability.
- Buy canvas bags to use for your shopping
- Woolworths has their own line of reusable shopping bags to avoid all those plastic ones, bring your own next time you shop, not only are they sturdier but also contribute less waste. If you do use plastic bags, create a collection at home that you can reuse to line your bins. Or recycle them, check out www.redcycle.net.au
- Try to dry your clothes on a clothesline
- While you can tumble dry on low and machine wash your Modibodi garments, you can also wash them by hand and hang them up to dry on a nice sunny day! This promotes a longer life for your Modibodi garments and clothes and is saving a lot more energy and reducing your energy bill!
- Conserve water
- Try and take shorter showers, use any leftovers in glasses to water the plants, use cold water to wash your clothes and turn off the tap while you brush your teeth (it all adds up!)
- Use a pressure cooker
- These are a brilliant invention that can save you time, money and energy all at once. They can take up to 70% less time and energy to cook a meal and they’re extremely versatile. You can make soup, roasts, cook chickens and even make desserts!
- Source local products
- There are so many great reasons to source your groceries locally. First, it supports the production of local farmers and businesses, who really are the backbone of providing fresh and delicious produce. Secondly, it reduces the amount of greenhouse gas created when products are flown or trucked in from overseas. Better yet, you can even plant your own vegetable garden, it doesn’t get much fresher than that!
- Buy a plant for your home
- Not only are they nice to look at and bring some life to the room, plants can also remove toxins from the air, increase humidity and can even make you more attentive! Cacti, succulents or a ficus are great plants that don’t need a lot of looking after.
- Even your pets can get involved!
- You can use biodegradable litter for your cat made from pine, corn and newspapers. And you can replace your dog’s nylon or plastic leashes with those made from canvas or hemp.
We all live on this earth together and can therefore all empower and motivate each other to treat it with respect and be mindful of our habits. Even a small change can make a big impact!
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device